Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: tonnages was RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:54:42 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

Another thing that needs to be cleared up IMO is what exactly do we mean
when we say "railguns"?

We can build prototype railguns today and will probably be fielding
early
field models within a decade (probably less).

Some of the weapons in DS2 and SG2 (such as the MDC and gauss rifle)
might
arguably be classed as railguns.  So might PDS systems.

I've heard KV railguns described as accelerating projectiles to "near
relativistic" velocities, but can't seem to find that in the
descriptions
in MT.	(Personally, I think such a weapon would be more like the
"C-plus"
cannon in Saberhagen's Berserker novels; it would probably destroy any
ship
it hit.)  I've also seem some back and forth over whether they are the
electromagnetic accelerators we are familiar with or some sort of
gravitic
accelerator instead.  If true, they clearly aren't "your granddaddy's
railguns" anymore.

I think we need to ask what general guideline we expect them to conform
to;
are these the products of technology that is similar to, slightly
superior
to or significantly superior to that of humanity in the official GZG
universe.

And while we are at it, why not hammer out some general guidelines for
incorporating advanced technologies into FT?  I think the low mass/high
cost payoff makes a lot of sense and should be fleshed out so that those
of
us who don't play in the official sandbox can have a truly generic
system
for designing balanced ships for any alien race rather than getting too
caught up in the care and feeding of Kra'Vak specifically.  That way you
can have your "advanced drives" race, your "advanced material science"
race, etc. in addition to your special weapons X, Y, and Z races.  For
example, I'd like to use railguns for the "low-tech" humans in my
universe.

In the case of the official universe I think one should ask why humans
did
not develop them as a primary weapon system when we are clearly on that
path today.

Who knows?  You might find that the Kra'Vak are actually _less_ advanced
in
some areas and use RGs because they are the best thing they could think
of.
 Perhaps with the new FB designs, we'll find  that railguns are really
only
effective against fleets that have "over specialized" in their defenses
against beam weapons.

I guess, in summary, I'm saying lets re-evaluate what they are and how
they
work as part of an integrated ship design system that will continue to
work
for any universe.  Perhaps we'll end up with two (or more) different
types
of weapons; call 'em railguns and gauss cannons or whatever.

Just some thoughts.

Jeff

Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: tonnages was RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass