Prev: Re: [FT] Railguns Next: [OT] [GW!] Space hulk

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 08:32:02 PST
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

>Perhaps before we get too far along any one trail for our K'V weapons
>discussion, we should establish some general goals. These are the one
that
>I think are important:
>
>1) The "To-Hit" mechanic should reflect a projectile flavor. In my
eyes,
>that means performance should be relatively constant out to a given
range
>and then drop off quickly.
>
>2) Damage should be constant, without regard to range.
>
>3) Firing arcs should be very limited to preserve the K'V "feel."

Agreed, all three.

>4) Mass should be relatively low, and point cost should be relatively
high.

Agree with the point cost, but not with the mass.  After all, you have
everything that a beam battery has, plus ammo!	And you have to throw a
*lot* of metal around to hit anything at these distances.

>Please refute these if you don't agree; they're just a starting point.
Once
>we agree on some goals, then we can get down to the nitty-gritty of the
>specific mechanics to achieve them.

Where's the chaos in that?

>Schoon

Tom Sullivan

"Anarchists of the world unite!"

Prev: Re: [FT] Railguns Next: [OT] [GW!] Space hulk