Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: Status report on: Re: hey, is anybody out there....

Re: [FTFB] Fleet Book Kra'Vak

From: Matthew Seidl <seidl@v...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:55:12 -0700
Subject: Re: [FTFB] Fleet Book Kra'Vak

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:27:06 -0800, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker writes:
>>As you can see, the railguns are about 60% more efficient against an
>>un-screened ship, which argues for at least a 50% mass increase for
>>railguns.
>
>Good point on the damage vs. mass. I hadn't considered it; I was just
going
>by average damage at range. If we multiply the masses by 1.5...
>
>Class 1 RAILGUN - 2 MASS, 4-arc fire
>Class 2 RAILGUN - 3 MASS, 2-arc fire
>Class 3 RAILGUN - 6 MASS, 1-arc fire
>POINT COST = 3 per MASS
>
>This makes them quite a bit more massive, and ups the cost as well. I'd
be
>very interested to get some playtest reports back from those who have
time
>to give these a whirl.

O.k., here are some Railgun ideas bantered arround the MCollective a
while ago.  See what you think:

Railguns roll to hit like Pulse Torps.	2+ to hit at closest range
bracket, and getting one point worse per range bracket.  Railguns
ignore shields, but do NOT get a reroll on damage.  They do damage
like before.  one a roll of 1-3 they do level in points, on a 4-6 they
do 2x level.  We also decided to give the railguns different range
brackets depending on type.  Brackets 4/6/8 for type R1/R2/R3.

R1 1.5 mass each (3 arc)
R2 6.5 mass each (3 arc)  4.5 mass (1 arc)
R3 10.5 mass each (3 arc) 7 mass (1 arc)

Now, heres the analysis.  Its a little large I warn you.  I need to
redo it with rerolls, but its still interesting.  One question is how
to rate the ignore shields bit.

first colum is average damage per weapon at that range, second is
damage per mass assuming 3 arcs (including rerolls, but no shields)

range:	     0	  5    10   15	 20   25   30	35   40   45   50

L1 0.66 0.66 ------------|

L2 1.33 0.66 ------------|
   0.66 0.33		  -----------|

L3 2.00 0.33 ------------|
   1.33 0.22		  -----------|
   0.66 0.11			      -----------|

L4 2.66 0.19 ------------|
   2.00 0.14		  -----------|
   1.33 0.10			      -----------|
   0.66 0.05					  -----------|

PT 2.92 0.49 ------|
   2.33 0.39	    -----|
   1.75 0.29		  -----|
   1.17 0.20			-----|
   0.58 0.10			      -----|

(single arc weapons)

L3 2.00 0.50 ------------|
1  1.33 0.33		  -----------|
arc0.66 0.17			      -----------|

L4 2.66 0.33 ------------|
1  2.00 0.25		  -----------|
arc1.33 0.17			      -----------|
   0.66 0.08					  -----------|

PT 2.92 0.73 ------|
1  2.33 0.58	    -----|
arc1.75 0.44		  -----|
   1.17 0.29			-----|
   0.58 0.15			      -----|

(First Set of Rail guns is assuming Range brackets of 4/6/8 and hit on
2+
 at closest bracket)

R1 1.25 ???? ----|
   1.00 ????	  ---|
   0.75 ????	      ---|
   0.50 ????		  ---|
   0.25 ????		      ---|

R2 2.50 ???? ------|
   2.00 ????	    -----|
   1.50 ????		  -----|
   1.00 ????			-----|
   0.50 ????			      -----|

R3 3.75 ???? --------|
   3.00 ????	      -------|
   2.25 ????		      -------|
   1.50 ????			      -------|
   0.75 ????				      -------|

Comparing the above guns to beams, R1 to L2, R2 and R3 to L3 we get
roughly
the following masses for 3 arcs:

R1 1.5 mass each (3 arc)
R2 6.5 mass each (3 arc)  4.5 mass (1 arc)
R3 10.5 mass each (3 arc) 7 mass (1 arc)

All of the above does NOT take into account re-rolls, screens, armor
penetration, etc.

Is ignoring screens equal to not getting a re-roll?  If so, the above
railgun masses aren't bad.

-=- Matthew L. Seidl		email: seidl@cs.colorado.edu
   =-=
=-= Graduate Student			Project . . . What Project?
   -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html 	 -Morrow Quotes
   =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit
   -=-

Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: Status report on: Re: hey, is anybody out there....