Prev: [ADMIN] How to Abandon Ship Next: How to Unsub (was RE: An era ends, and begins, today.)

[DSII] Light Infantry

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 01:06:21 -0800
Subject: [DSII] Light Infantry

Light Infantry--this is the one real spot missing in my NRE OBs.  There
isn't room to add any in the Tagmatic forces (Other than the Varangians
I've already got), but the Thematic units offer some potential for
various types of light infantry.  Now, these carry all sorts of
additional designations in the Real World, principally Airborne, Air
Assault, Mountain, and a host of traditional ones (Jaeger, Rifles,
Fusiliers, whatever) which have no real meaning.  However, going over
various OBs, I'm a bit unsure on the difference between Mountain, Abn,
AA, and just plain vanilla light infantry. *Dodges brickbats from the
airborne types*  Yes, I know they have slightly different training in
how they get to work, and the Air Assault TOs have to include enough
helicoptors to flit from here to there.  This doesn't, however, seem to
have much effect on the way they are organized, nor does it have any
effect at all on a Dirtside or Stargrunt table (unless you airdrop them
in, in which case it can be interesting).  So what I've been
considering was to put together a generic Light Infantry TO&E with the
caveat that they might have additional designations if one of the three
listed above.  Side note--I've worked out a tenative TO&E for a brigade
based on US practice (plus support assets at brigade level which don't
exist in US, but which get attached if a brigade goes off on an
independant mission), and noticed that it calls for over 200
hummer-analogs.  Not that light, is it?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: [ADMIN] How to Abandon Ship Next: How to Unsub (was RE: An era ends, and begins, today.)