Prev: GMS/P Next: Buh-Bye!

RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:40:43 -0800
Subject: RE: DS2 Resins to FT or FTFB Mass

> i assume that the price reflects the quantity of resin used; of
course, if
> it is a tricky mould then you have to factor in extra labour, greater
> wastage, etc. generally, price is proportional to mass. this leads to
an
> interesting result: the mass of the model corresponds to the mass of
the
> ship you are modelling (it's a scale model, after all); the points
value
> of a ship under FB rules is basically proportional to its game mass.
does
> this mean that the points value of a ship is proportional to its cost?
> rather than playing a 4000 point fleet, a could field a 25 pound one,
or
> an 800 gram one. does this mean that when the FB rules for the KV come
> out, and KV warships are (say) 50% more expensive, the models will
have a
> premium too? gzg could be the first company to make their models not
just
> scale models dimensionwise but pricewise too: a 5 pound battleship
model
> is a 5 million pound battleship ...

The only place this breaks down with regards to the Microtac line of
resins
is that IIRC the MT-26 GEV Bulk carier comes 1 to a packet and is also
$4.50. It is maybe one fifth of a PBE in terms of resin volume. So
figure,
what, Ms 2 or 3 maximum. The same goes for the GEV command post, which
is
even smaller.

> the logic behind 1m = 1000T was that then a mass 40 battleship (as
they
> roughly were under ft2) was 40 000 tonnes, which is the size of a real
> wet-navy battleship. i just thought along the Space Cruiser Yamato
lines,
> i suppose.

Makes sense. I guess it all depends on your view of technology and your
tolerance for PSB. I guess I like the 1m = 1000, at least for now,
making	a
mass 120 ship weigh in at 120,000 tons, about the size of a decent Oil
Tanker.

Prev: GMS/P Next: Buh-Bye!