Prev: Re: Offical Avalon stats Next: RE: Infantry Walkers!

RE: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movies

From: "Craig" <craig@c...>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 15:25:58 -0000
Subject: RE: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movies

5 by 5 refers to the first 2 of 3 elements of a radio signal report. The
3
elements are R - readability, S - strength and T - tone, hence the
report is
often known as an RST report. The 3 elements range from 0 to 5. You will
rarely here of the tone element as this refers to telegraphy (morse,
baudot
etc) rather than telephony (speech). Incidently if anyone gives a report
of
R0 or S0 they don't know what they are talking about as these mean
tottally
unreadable and no signal respectively so they couldn't have been
received in
the first place. R5 is a rare occurence - perfect readability and S5 is
very strong signal. The reports are heavily used in ham radio and I
believe
also in CB and PMR applications.

Craig Mitchell