Prev: SG2 Mounted Infantry rules posted. Next: Re: GW models, was Re: IFVs

Re: Infantry Walkers!

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:53:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Infantry Walkers!

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>

> > On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:
> >
> > > Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:

Powered
GMS/H & MDC/2

> > > What I think of as an "infantry" walker would be too small to be a

> > > GMS/H carrier. I think of them (similar to grav bikes) as 0.5 size

> > > vehicles.
> >
> > difference in terminology here, is all. I usually refer to Size 1
walkers
> > as 'infantry walkers'. Most of the point of running them is to have
GMS/Hs
> > available to support my PA assaults.
>
> True but I treat GMS/H as a size 2 weapon (it takes 4 spaces).
> Therefore I can't fit it on anything smaller than size 1, so that
> rules out its fit on a size 0.5.  I don't like the idea of such a big
> weapon on an infantry walker.

According to the Dirtside II rulebook, a Size 1 walker _is_ an infantry
walker. That's how I run them, as well. Honestly, if they couldn't mount
GMS/H, I'd not run them - otherwise a PA plt can have equally effective
weapons and they're much more survivable than the Infantry Walkers.

If you want to run Size .5 Walkers, maybe call them 'Heavy Powered
Armour'?

> > > To me, a size 0.5 infantry walker is a platform on which MLPs,
SAWs,
> > > GMS/Ps (maybe GMS/L), HMGs, GAC/1 or RFAC/1, autoGLs, and a few
other
> > > such things might be mounted (but obviously not altogether). I
give
> > > them 3 spaces. Not big enough for a GMS/H.
> > >

> > In SG2, PA can mount most of the stuff you mentioned, including the
GAC/1
> > or RFAC/1.
>
> Well, not if you charge space for driver and passenger. If you only
> had 2 spaces left after driver, you probably could mount any size 1
> weapon in a centerline mount.

Hold on a sec, please. I'm talking about Powered Armour infantry (PA).
Not
little
vehicles. In SG2, PA can carry anything regular infantry can, including
GMS/P. In addition, they can mount Class 1 weaponry, as below. This is a
bit of a blurring of the PA/walker line, but not much. They can't mount
GMS/L (at least, none of the sample PA loadouts in the back of the SG2
book do, but they have everything else mentioned)

>  The NAC has a GAC/1 (the L23A2 HVAT), the ESU has an RFAC/1
> > , both on PA. The only exception is the GMS/L.
>
> I can handle the autocannons. Even a GMS/L is....only moderately
> offensive. But GMS/H? That should be reserved for tank killers or big
> walkers.

It is - Size 1 Infantry Walkers, or any other Size 1 or larger vehicle.

> > > Of course, where do you crew your IWs from? 75% is high
casualties...

> > My rationale is that the IW arm is the 'glamour' arm of the
infantry.
Sort
> > of like air forces in WW1. Lots of pilots get killed, but lots of
> > people still want to become pilots...Seriously, I need to work on IW
> > tactics, maybe cut down on those casualty figures...
>
> Yeah.... or find a way to toughen your IW or find a way to use
> combined arms to protect them...

I am starting to drop my PA/IW coys in closer groupings. Maybe it'll
help.
The problem is that often they're the only vehicles I have on the board,
so they just scream 'shoot me'...

 > or crew them with convicts....

but then I'd have to rename them "Australia"-class Infantry Walkers <g>
like the class name they have now - "Ursus"-class - latin for bear, and
they look a bit like bears on their hind legs do...

<<snip all sorts of things, including a change of topic:>>
>  Ditto for GMS/L, when I get around to building a model of one
> > and modifying some figs.
>
> Check with some of the guys and find out what a real TOW crew is (for
> the portaple tripod mount). And find out if they carry it or only
> ever chuck it in a hummer...

There's the question of the hour, gentlebeings. Can you hump a TOW any
distance, and how many people does it take to ensure it's pointed in the
right direction?

(That sounds like some new version of the lightbulb joke...)

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/games
webpage--

Prev: SG2 Mounted Infantry rules posted. Next: Re: GW models, was Re: IFVs