Prev: Re: GMS Fire control Next: Re: GMS Fire control

Re: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:09:27 -0500
Subject: Re: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Thomas Barclay wrote:
>
> > 2. In a campaign perpective, grav bikes use micro sized grav
> > generators that are just brutal for maintenance. Also they have
> > delicate and expensive controls. Ergo their maintenance cost could
be
> > multiplied by 2 to 5 thus making them less desireable from a
> > logistics point of view than foot infantry. Plus they could have a
> > high monetary cost, and require veteran or regular troops minimum
> > (because green or untrained are too risky on the bikes).
>
> Let's also keep in mind the roles played by these troops.
>
> I can't speak to OUDF usage of them, they seem to be in brigade-sized
> formations attached to each division.  So between 1/3 to 1/5 of OUDF
> maneuver elements are Light Horse?

Can't say myself.

> But I'm planning to stick them into the Tagmatic order of battle in
> recon formations.  Recon is not something that should be getting into
> stand-up fights.  A cav scout who goes looking for fights is a
> gloryhound who's forgotten his primary mission.  He's heavily armed
> because scouts can get into some sticky situations, but he's a lot
more
> valuable alive than dead.

Star Wars Biker Scouts....

> Note that German OBs on paper called for more and more motorcycle
units
> in recon batallions, but actual usage showed fewer and fewer
motorcycle
> troops.  That's because they are very, very fragile.	And a
> not-easily-renewable resource.  Good scouts take a lot of training--as
> was mentioned during the discussion of infantry scouts, you don't
stick
> a green private fresh from training into your batallion recon platoon.

> Get them all blow away getting into pissing matches with infantrymen,
> and you run out in short order.  Ooops.

And correspondingly your mechanized recce has to be a bit tough
(witness the Scout variant of the Bradley).

> I've got some Stargrunt Grav Bikes.  However, I've only got eight of
> them.  This would be elements of a recon platoon--(tenative
> organization, 6x4-man sections, to be used in maneuver batallion vis
> 6xGrav Jeeps w/ dismounts).  If I were to actually use them in a game,
> it would be a case of cav scouts attempting to get past an enemy
screen,
> or screening against enemy recon, or simillar traditional cavalry
> missions which require a lot of firepower packed into a small unit.
Not
> flying around using their SAWs-O-Doom to shoot up line troops.

Of course, if you want to go way back, skirmish riders have been used
since cavalry has been invented. A dispersed formation that engages
the enemy as a screening force could be of some value. But again,
doctrine should be what limits the deployment of the troops and their
uses, and economics and logistics should prohibit gamerishness.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: GMS Fire control Next: Re: GMS Fire control