Prev: RE: [DS2] Vehicle Design Application Next: Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres

RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:10:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Wayne wrote:

> On 19/11/98, Brian wrote:
>
> SNIP
>
> >The reaction test for suppression is interesting - adds a bit of
chance
> >over the set reactions of the other method. Combine the two: If a
squad
> >blows it's rolls and gets a first suppression, (testing at Threat +1
for
> >the first time) they can move but not shoot. Next suppression, test
at +2,
> >and they hit dirt if they fail. After that, treat them as normal
infantry.

> I'm begining to think you've been sending me telepathic suggestions.
>
> I was looking at the SG2 rule book last night and when I got to the
the
> reaction test section and read the following line "Reaction test is
taken
> whenever a unit is ordered to do something that its troops may or mat
not
> have the nerve to carry out..." it hit me that mounted infantry should
make
> a reaction test when ever they receive a suppression and if they fail
they
> would do a 'crash dismount'.
>
> I was thinking a reaction test with a threat level of +2 for the first
> suppression. If they pass they can continue to do move and leader
actions
> but nothing else.  If they fail they do a 'crash dismount' and the
> suppression effects them like normal infantry.  On the getting a
second
> suppression the threat level would be +4 and on the third an automatic
> crash dismount with no roll.	This would add an element of uncertainty
> it.

Sounds good. Now all I need to do is find some 15mm grav/jet bikes. I
think Tabletop Miniatures makes some...

> (With out a roll I could see people exposing mounted infantry knowing
> they weren't going to be forced to stop moving until they get a second
> suppression)

Brian's 1st Law of House Rules: Always make them power-gamer resistant.
Even normally nice people can show power-gamerish tendencies in the heat
of the game. Get people to play the game, not the rules.

(Actually, this should be the 1st Law of All Rules, not just house
rules)

> I based the threat level on the going into position roll, it seem to
be a
> similar situation to a crash dismount (sort of)

Sounds right - tougher but similar to IP rolls.

thanks for sending me the rules, BTW. I'll get those HTMLed tonight and
posted tomorrow or Saturday. (for everyone's information, Wayne's
Mounted
Troops in SG2 rules will be published on my website - I'll post a short
announcment when they're up...)

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/games
webpage--

Prev: RE: [DS2] Vehicle Design Application Next: Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres