Prev: Re: Supertank? Next: Re: IFVs

Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:07:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Kenneth Winland wrote:
 <<major major snippage>>
>	The MAUS is nothing (its manueverability was actually very
good);
> Hitler gave orders for a 1000-ton tank!  I kid you not; it was
discussed
> in one of Uwe Feist's book (another noted armour historian).	It was
to be
> 1000-tons and be powered by 4 U-Boat engines.  We've scoured the
> Bundesarchiv system to find significant references conerning this, but
> have found precious little.  No doubt Der Furhrer was in one of his
rants
> as an "expert" and the engineers nodded their heads and did little.

The something-1000 and the something-1500 (a 1500 _ton_ tank) are both
mentioned in that excellent Panzer website some nice person posted a
couple days ago. I've got the URL around somewhere, but it's late...

That short Austrian corporal was the best war-winning tool the Allies
had...God knows where a 1500ton tank would have been useful, outside his
head...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/gaming
webpage--