Prev: Re: Supertank? Next: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:57:00 -0500
Subject: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules

Wayne spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> I didn't want the bikes to have the option of mounting an intergral
weapon
> so it was left out on purpose.  I wrote these rules after reading Owen
> Glovers light horse TO&E and thinking that giving all jet bikes an
> intergral heavy weapon made them too powerful and that treating them
all
> like a size 1 vehicle distracted from the whole point of StarGrunt
being an
> infantry game.

Sure. Just that the minis I have look like a centerline SAW would be
reasonable.

> The point of the rules was to create what is in effect another
infantry
> squad type.  The rules are really just modifications of the existing
ones
> to take into account the fact that the infantry are mounted on bikes.
> wanted there to be advantages (increased speed) and disadvantages (no
heavy
> weapons and shorter ranged when mounted) so that game balance could be
> maintained.

I can see that makes sense. I think you probably have two classes of
bike. An armed and unarmed. In either case, they both take damage
from any weapon in the game... which helps a bit in maintaining
balance.

> >From an OU organisation and mission point of veiw, I see these squads
> having about four or five members, with standard ACR's with GL )to
make up
> for the fact that they don't have heavier weapons) and being used to
setup
> ambushs where they dismount, seek some cover, open up with their
weapons
> and IAVR's when something juicy comes along then quickly pulling back,
> mounting up again and ziping off to the next ambush site.

What about Mounted Recce? They would be awesome for that. Or for
couriers. There are a lot of roles for these bikes.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Supertank? Next: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules