Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Terrorist Factories Next: Re: Supertank?

Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:24:07 -0800
Subject: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Not my experience at all. Put something of armour 4 or 5 on the
> board, and it is near invulnerable.  GMS/P uses D12* Impact, as does

Maybe in Stargrunt II--my use of medium artillery in DSII has
traumatized every one of my regular opponents on the subject.  :)  I
regularly toast size 4 or 5 vehicles.  The key is tight sheafs when
possible.  Yeah, you'll only catch a few, but raping a platoon of size 5
heavy tanks with each salvo is fairly intimidating.

> or 4) at the GMS/P and IAVRs. GMS/L is more dangerous.... and GMS/H

I'm not a real fan of the way SGII models armored vehicles.
Unfortunately, I can't come up with a better system for an SF skirmish
game which has to deal with every vehicle model and design under the
sun.

> kill those IAVR firing enemy). The GMS/P is a full-board threat...
> but with its pathetic (relative to MBT armour) penetration, it isn't
> much of a threat barring really bad luck on the MBT - and if he is
> using cover he can really cut out the range advantage a lot.

GMS/P is too weak.  I'd use a GMS/L team or two instead.

> YMMV, Of course. To each his own experience. I'm only curious about
> what the options for this in the real world are. I'm sure someone who
> worked on us MLRS or Heavy Arty could comment on how deadly
> state-of-today weapons are to todays MBTs.

Basically, if you're dumb enough to hold still under a rain of ICM
rounds from modern artillery, you're toast.  Fortunately these rounds
are not that common outside US/NATO/people whose defense budgets the US
subsidises (Like Israel).

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Terrorist Factories Next: Re: Supertank?