Prev: Re: GEV capabilities, was RE:Tank Riders {SG2] Next: Re: GEV capabilities

Re: [ds] supporting sources

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:26:27 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [ds] supporting sources

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Adrian Johnson wrote:
> >> i'd add that ft's classic 'allie nakamura woke up in hell ...' is
> >> substantially better than the honor harrison books ...
> >Honour Harrington?

oops! my bad. there is still no 'u' in Honor, though. it is an american
book, after all.

> Honour Harrington is the heroine in a series of novels in the "Royal
Navy
> Of The 18th Century In Space" tradition.  There are a number of others
(the
> "Hope" series springs to mind).

the stephen baxter steampunk efforts are a little this way, but without
much of a combat element.

>  She is a heroic officer who always
> succeeds, and does so against increasingly improbable odds as the
series
> progresses.

and does so without being very clever or subtle. if in doubt, shoot it,
seems to be her motto. if he was a DM, Weber would get exiled for
running
monty haul quests.

>  These books and others of their ilk provide an interesting
> look at the future, and are often well researched (in a
> historical-similarities-to-the-old-days sense).

space empires are always a laugh, even if largely impractical to get to
from where we are today. there is an article on this on the web which i
keep trying to read, but it never works. does anyone know of any
reasonable theories on how imperialisation might happen? any scholarly
analyses of the question?

> Bit pulpy though.

understatement of the month!

Tom

Prev: Re: GEV capabilities, was RE:Tank Riders {SG2] Next: Re: GEV capabilities