Prev: Re: SEC: UNCLASSIFIED - Mailing List name Next: Leonids meteor shower

Supertank?

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 01:29:06 PST
Subject: Supertank?

I have a copy of Peter Gudgin's Armour 2000 (by Arms & Armour Press,
1990, ISBN 1-85409-044-5) in which he examines the near future evolution

of the tank. It, like all of the 2000 books (Artillery, Sea Power and
Air Power) is very good and very useful to serious wargamers whether
present day or science fiction.
He makes two comments of particular interest to us:
1. Future APCs and other tracked battlefield vehicles should share as
many parts as possible with the MBT to simplify maintenance and reduce
overall costs (compare and contrast with Germany in WW II as an example
of how not to do it). If, instead of making 100 tanks, 200 APCs and 200
other tracks you build all 500 on a common chassis and drive train you
can now afford 600 of them.
2. Future tanks will be lighter and smaller, using a remote turret to
reduce their silhouette, the autoloader also allowing a reduction in
crew.

The first point makes good sense to me though I am less sure of the
second.

Israeli APC
In the newsletter of the Near Future Study Group, an offshoot of the
Society of Twentieth Century Wargamers (I think) they mentioned a new
Israeli APC, converted from captured T-?? Tanks (cannot remember which).

They removed the turret and made other changes. The passengers exited
through the rear and the vehicle carried only an MG for self-defense,
this prevented heroics on the part of the crew and it had the panzers to

protect it and it carried the infantry to protect the panzers.
This brings me to another question, how sensible are IFVs, surely they
are there to get the infantry to where they are needed, not to fight
with the troops on board and to stay away from hostile panzers. I
realize that TOW etc. gives them a good stand off punch to supplement
the panzers' guns but will they survive long enough to use them?

		 Michael R. Blair