Prev: RE: Space Urchins (New Race) Next: Re: New mailing list question

Re: GEV capabilities, was RE:Tank Riders {SG2]

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:32:32 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: GEV capabilities, was RE:Tank Riders {SG2]

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Ground Zero Games wrote:
> >> Having a ride on a vehical would extend the powered armor suit's
> >> operational time, and wouldn't use up those flight packs...
> >certianly true. there is a technology called Helicopter In Flight
> >Refuelling (HIFR) whereby naval helos can be refuelled in flight via
> >pipe from a ship. i suppose Powersuit In Ride Recharging isn't out of
the
> >question? not only do tanks have telephones on the back (well, these
days
> >it will be an optical fibre jack) but power sockets as well.

> This could be used to increase the PA's power endurance, but you've
> also got to consider the wearer's food,

you can pipe soup through the hookup too. possibly some stews (if a
large-bore pipe), porridge, very small meatballs, mince, fine noodles,
and
a host of other one-dimensional and liquid foodstuffs.

> water

readily pipable (tank commander to quartermaster: "ok, i'll take 40
rounds of APFSKADS, 20 of HEF and ten EMPs, and give me another box of
rounds for the APSW. oh, and you'd better refill the ginger beer, we're
in for a big combined-arms op.").

> and air requirements

also pipable. ("yeah, and my infantry liason says his squad is getting
fed
up with Mountain Glade - change the air-freshener in the PIRR unit,
would
you?").

> (OK, you
> can go without the former two for a little while after your suit
supply
> runs out, and the  latter can be recycled) and being able to empty the
> sanitation tanks etc.... :)

i don't know that sanitation tanks would be that hard to empty if
properly
designed. some sort of postprocessing to reduce all waste to liquids,
then
pump it into disposable plastic sacs along with a polymer, so it sets
into
rigid, easy-to-handle Human Waste Modules. same size as IAVR warhead for
use in last-ditch defences.

the link from tank to grunt will probably carry power, data, air and
water; there could be another, larger, pipe to hook up to an ifv or a
Combat Quartermaster Convenience Vehicle to carry over food. you could
also send a little robot through to give the wearer a wash and shave,
like
they use for welding the inside of gas pipelines. remeber: engineers
don't
know when to stop.

Tom
"all i ask for is power armour and a star to jog by"

Prev: RE: Space Urchins (New Race) Next: Re: New mailing list question