Prev: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks. Next: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:58:06 +1300
Subject: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

Adrian Johnson wrote:
>>Thomas Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> i'm not too happy about the stealth. is an m1a1 actually harder to
hit
>>> than a 60-tonne tank from a less-developed army?
>>
>>Actually, since the M1A1 and similar modern MBTs have much lower
>>physical profiles than older tanks, the stealth (lowering the profile)
>>makes perfect sense.
>
>Lower is very relative. If an older tank is like the side of a hanger,
an
>M1 is like the side of a barn.  Much smaller profile - but it still
sticks
>out like a sore thumb. You have hundreds of square feet of flat metal
>surface reflecting back at a sensor no matter what the tank is, or the
>direction you emit at it from.  If you could build a tank to look like
the
>F117 or B2, and construct it out of similar materials, then "stealth"
would
>be relevant.  Until you do, it isn't. How tall is an M1?  7, 8 feet?
>That's eight feet of metal reflector. So an M60 is taller?  Wouldn't
make
>a difference.	Tanks are giant moving radar reflectors, no matter what
the
>type or era (up to now, anyway).  Older soviet tanks, like the T34 or
the
>T54/55 are lower and smaller than an M1, AND their turrets are
considerably
>lower and rounded which gives a smaller radar profile.  They still show
up
>on all kinds of sensors like a beacon.
    Stealth levels in DSII are also relative. One or two levels of
stealth
translate to one or two shifts in signature die. A size 5 vehicle has a
signature of 1D4 to defend against fire control dice ranging from 1D6 to
1D10. One level of stealth changes the D4 to D6; two levels, D4 to D8. A
little bit of DSII stealth makes a bit of difference.
    If you look closely at a M1, you will notice that the front glacis
plate
is nearly flat. Most incoming shots are going to strike the turret
rather
than the hull. The turret is flat plates positioned to deflect incoming
shots upwards and to the sides. Most of the turret roof (except for
sensors
and MGs) is also flat, so as to not trap incoming shots. So, I believe
that
an extra one or two levels of stealth are justified for the DSII model
of a
M1 tank.

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks. Next: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.