Prev: Re: HO/20MM grav vehicles etc... Next: Re: New List Admin ( was Re: A sad(?) announcement)

Re: New List Admin ( was Re: A sad(?) announcement)

From: Matthew Seidl <seidl@v...>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:18:30 -0700
Subject: Re: New List Admin ( was Re: A sad(?) announcement)

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:54:14 +0000, Jonathan White writes:
>At 13:04 10/11/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>Assuming we run with Matt's kind and generous offer, what needs to
happen
>>before Jon leaves
>>BI?
>>Mike Elliott
>Depends which way Matt wants to play it. If he wants to take it over to
his
>server (which might be a better option TBH) we need to set the new list
up
>and either we all go and sub to that *or* (if he can do it that way) I
>supply him with a list of all the subscribers emails and he 'creates'
the
>new lists membership from that. Then it's just a case of everyone
>remembering to use the new address...

O.k., if everyone wants to take me up on the offer I'll offer the
following migration proposal:

1) I'll set up the new full list on csua.berkeley.edu.	Thats the
machine I run all my big lists from.  Beefy FreeBSD/AMD box.

2) If wanted, I can set up a new "special" list on
wraith.cs.colorado.edu.  Thats a much smaller box that I use to run
more private, less bandwidth intensive lists.  Easy to make it a
closed list and all.

3) I'd like to start with a current list of all members, so people
won't have to subscribe to the new list.  Much faster migration that
way.

4) A Note, I'll add auto archiving and a digest version of the list,
since thats basically what my auto-setup stuff does anyway. :) The
archive would just be a full text thing, no searching or anything.

How does that sound to people?	When would you like the migration to
happen?

-=- Matthew L. Seidl		email: seidl@cs.colorado.edu
   =-=
=-= Graduate Student			Project . . . What Project?
   -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html 	 -Morrow Quotes
   =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit
   -=-

Prev: Re: HO/20MM grav vehicles etc... Next: Re: New List Admin ( was Re: A sad(?) announcement)