Prev: Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: The Vector Dilema

Re: [ds] Ogres

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:32:18 +1300
Subject: Re: [ds] Ogres

Thomas Anderson wrote:
>Andrew wrote:
>> I use this rule of thumb:
>> Divide vehicle weight by 10 tons to get vehicle size class.
>
>a challenger 2, the current british mbt, weighs in at 62.5 tonnes. a
size
>6 vehicle? i don't think so.
    My rule of thumb indicates a size 6 vehicle. That's a good starting
point for a design. I would feel free to modify the VSC +/- 1 to better
simulate the real world vehicle.

>of course, the weight-to-size scale you use for using ds2 to simulate
>modern warfare is not necessarily the same scale you use for future
>warfare, since the largest modern vehicles are smaller than the largest
>future vehicles. if a challenger 2 or m1a1 turned up in 2160, it would
be
>size 3. in your modern-day rules, it might well be size 5.
    Actually, they would probably be very similar sizes. Tanks do have
fit onto trains, roads and, in future, space ship hulls. Transport is
more a
limiting factor than near future, non-nanotech, tech level.

>are these the same rules that give the m1a1 an hkp? in terms of how an
hkp
>is described in ds2, there is no way this is true. however, if you are
>simulating modern day and simply wish for a 'better hvc' to give
high-tech
>armies like the usa and uk, then the hkp is the thing.
    A HVC with the range of HKP is probably the best alternative.

>basically, a modern mbt of any make in the future setting is going to
be a
>size 3, armour 2 (if chobham - not as good as future armour) or 1 (if
>steel), CFE, slow (possibly fast) tracked, hvc/3 in turret, and three
>wasted space due to lack of minaturisation.
    I disagree. But each to his own. I think modern vehicles in a future
setting would be using HVC and basic firecontrol, would be of similar
sizes,
but would be slower to react - perhaps needing to make a threat test
before
moving or firing - due to poorer communications.

>proposed houseish rule: ancient vehicles (eg modern in future, ww2 in
>modern) only get 4 x size cp to account for their lack of miniaturised
>parts relative to up-to-date vehicles.
    Well, I've found that the standard 5 × VSC is pretty accurate for
most
WWII and Modern vehicles, once the right vehicle size class is found.

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
 http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: The Vector Dilema