Prev: Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...) Next: RE: FT : EW & Boarding Parties

RE: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare)

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:15:24 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare)

Adrian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> We play with this rule as a standard in our group too.  No unit may be
> re-activated more than once per game turn.  Even with the rule, I've
still
> seen some of the "NAC Olympic Tag Team Sprinting" happening - one game
> can remember had the person playing that squad (first time playing
SG2, of
> course) rolling like three or four 11's and 12's in a row for combat
> movement, and the squad ended up at the other end of the table in a
perfect
> blocking position, and did the only real damage - and it was a recruit
> (green) squad, too...  It's a good rule, though!!

Hey, its almost to the point where we DON'T use combat movement. If I
can predictably move 6", that is almost more useful than the
possiblity I'll move 12". I mean at 7" (yeehaw) on a combat move.
But when you have such a good chance of 1 and 2 screwing me, I can
see why people don't want to do it. It's the same reason I kind of
dislike the D12 weapon vs Level 5 armour - you can still blow the
unit to hell. A bad roll for your armour.... I wouldn't design armour
with this kind of achilles heel.

It would change balance, and you'd to adjust a lot, but has anyone
experimeted with actually ROLLING the extra dice? This tends to
normalize results and reduce the outrageous (the guy who has
bulletproof armour because he rolls high) or the terrible (not being
able to penetrate armour you should on average penetrate even after
four or five attempts because you suck at dice). It would also mean
out the movement. Then the odds of totally boning on combat movement
would be less (as would the odds of doing a Ben Johnson). Probably
more reflective of the more 'mean' nature of things.

> What I was thinking about was more along these lines:  Somebody
setting up
> a "company" with a company HQ, two platoon HQ's, each commanding two,
maybe
> three infantry squads, and attached elements including maybe a tank,
squad
> of power armour, and maybe a jeep or two - so everything can get
> reactivated.	You have a reinforced platoon size force, but get all
the
> advantages of company level command.	I've seen this kind of thing
once or
> twice - unless you have special scenarios developed that call for a
special
> situation like this, what you really have is somebody playing a
platoon
> level engagement and cheesing out on the rules to take advantage of
> reactivation.  Limiting them to one reactivation per unit per game
turn
> helps, but you can still reactivate nearly everything in the force...

We have a solution to that too: Klingon Pain Sticks.

Seriously, it may be a benefit of having that much command oversight,
although it is a lot harder. If I am the company commander and can
only have one action, I can only reactivate two subcommanders. Who
can then only activate two of their units. And this is contingent
on leadership checks. So in truth, if the command units do nothing
but this, they won't do much else... and will be left
behind....sounds like a good time for rear-area raids...

Maybe, beyond a certain point, officers start to tread on each others
toes.  Sense rules all things. Munchkins should be roasted slowly
over an open fire... slowly so they learn the error of their ways and
recant their sins....roasted because they can make a good game tense
for people who just want to play....

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...) Next: RE: FT : EW & Boarding Parties