Prev: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare) Next: Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...)

[ds2] Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...)

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:16:39 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [ds2] Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Brian Burger wrote:
> Anyone else done any scratchbuilding or kitbashing
(combining/modifying
> kits)?

a while back, me and my mate started playing a wargame produced by
someone
local to our games glub; it wasn't terribly good - ms-dos to DS2's linux
-
but it was quick to play and quite fun. sort of full thrust approach -
lots of d6, predefined unit types (although here there were no design
rules), etc. the distinguishing feature was that it used 1/1000
minatures.
it would have worked with 1/300 but the reccommended mini line was 1/1k,
which works out at 2mm for a soldier. this had four advantages:

(1) cheap minis - we could field big armies without major spending
(2) looks cool - minis closer to ground scale
(3) easy to paint - slap on the green, drybrush at random with light
green
(4) scratchbuild heaven!

to scratchbuild a half-reasonable looking tank - and certainly good
enough
for gaming - took about 5 cm2 of card and a GW epic banner pole, or
similar thin plastic rod. ifv's and spg's were similarly easy. i made a
battery of HAR (scud) launchers using cut-up cocktail sticks for
missiles.
anyay, i had just been studying the six-day war in history, so i decided
needed more tanks. i took a mr kipling cake box (8"x6"x2" ?) and turned
it
into a reinforced armoured regiment - 100 tanks plus various add-ons. i
never got to field it all at once.

the moral of this story is: 1/100 rocks.

Tom

Prev: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare) Next: Re: SG2 vehicles (was Re: Full Thrust...)