Prev: Re: Chat is on NOW! Next: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers

Re: space mirrors

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:29:18 -0500
Subject: Re: space mirrors

> << Is laser technology at the point where a surface based laser could
fire
>  at the mirror and be deflected to hit a target half the world away?
>
>  smakdab >>
> I think that it would be if it could be aimed corectly.  That would
requere
> knowing the exsact location of all three items (laser, mirror, target)

  You'd want more than one mirror so your beam spends as little distance
as
possible in atmosphere--sort of a three-cushion bank shot.
  Second question is, what size target?  Afghanistan?  Yes.  One
particular
terrorist camp?  A bit more difficult.	One specific terrorist?...
  Third question, are you going to deliver enough power on target to do
any
good?  Not yet.
  First application of this would be to knock out enemy satellites, I
think.

Prev: Re: Chat is on NOW! Next: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers