Prev: Re: Fleet Control System Next: Tomorrow's Chats

Re: [FT] SOF Insertion ship

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:35:56 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion ship

At 12:22 30/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I am currently working on getting the Special Forces for my NRE into
>shape, and one of the things I needed to consider was how do they get
>work, right? So I sat down and threw this together on the hull of a
>Light Cruiser.  Why Light Cruiser?  Because I wanted speed, and that
was
>the largest ship I had running around at thrust 6.
>
>Sacred class Special Forces Support Ship
>Displacement: 5400 tonnes (Mass factor 54)
>Hull Type: Average (Hull Integrity 16)
>Crew: 9 officer, 45 ratings (Crew Factor 3)
>Armament: 2xClass 1 Batteries
>Sensors: Standard sensors, 1xFire Control
>Defenses: 1xPDS
>Other Systems: Cloaking Device, 2 pts Troop Space, 1xSize 2 Orbital
>Lander.
>Drive Systems: Main Drive rating 6, FTL Drive
>Procurement cost: 2040 Million Noumisma
>
>I know that that's a small troop space, but it's only meant to insert a
>team or three (depending on which type of team we want to drop).  My
>only concern is that for such a small, small troop complement, that's a
>curst expensive ship.
SNIP
>John M. Atkinson

Why not drop the hull strength a bit, as you're relying on the cloak for
protection?  Also, as she can't expect to survive a fighter attack in
the
open, is the PDS really worth it?  That would free enough space for a
slightly larger troop complement.

Then again, with a weak hull, the 5 free mass could go on another couple
of
PDS (or armour) and an Ortillery system, so that the ship could e.g.
decloak
at a prearranged time and receive targeting data from the SF team,
perhaps
in support of a drop on a planetary defence site, as recently discussed.

Rob

"Rob Paul

Dept of Zoology
Oxford University
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124
"Auld an' bald!"
"

Prev: Re: Fleet Control System Next: Tomorrow's Chats