Prev: Re: What the hell is this? Re: [fh] nac vexilliology Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology

Fleet Control System - Back on track (Was: Re: What the hell is this?)

From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson@q...>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:27:37 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Fleet Control System - Back on track (Was: Re: What the hell is this?)

At 04:28 AM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I agree with Niall;  lets keep it with GZG, ie., new rules, weapons,
>senarios, Order-of-battle, battle reports, and such.  I am killing
>average 5 emails until I get to one with GZG material.  To those who
>have been sending out new ideas for GZG gaming, great job!

Alright then.  I've been thinking about some way to represent a fleet
command vessel on the table and to give it some way of co-ordinating
fleet
activities.  So I have come up with the Fleet Control System.

Fleet Cons-
Similar to a FireCon but much, much larger the Fleet Con is a
sophisticated
sensor and communication array used to co-ordinate fleet movements and
observe/predict enemy fleet movements.	It is often only found on larger
vessels due to its size, complexity and crew requirements.
Communications
in battle is often tenuous at best and as a result the effectiveness of
the
device can vary greatly.

Game Use:  Any vessel with a Fleet Con rolls a D6 at the start of each
turn
and halves the result (round up).  The resultant number is the rating of
the Fleet Con for that turn.  Ratings do not carry over from turn to
turn
so that a Fleet Con can only have a rating of 1-3 each turn.

The Fleet Con can be used to either predict enemy movements or to
co-ordinate friendly vessel attacks.  The predict enemy movements, a
player
with a Fleet Con can force their opponent to show them the movement
orders
for one of the enemy vessels for each rating of the Fleet Con (1-3).
The
Friendly player may alter any movement orders after seeing this
information, but the enemy player MAY NOT.  Any Fleet Con ratings used
predict enemy movements CANNOT be used to co-ordinate friendly vessels
as
stated below and vice versa.

Fleet Cons may also be used to co-ordinate friendly attacks.  When a
friendly ship activates to fire, if the friendly player has Fleet Cons
in
their force, they may use them to activate other, friendly vessels for
simultaneous fire.  ONE extra vessel may be activated per rating of
Fleet
Con used.  The other friendly vessels then activate at the same time as
the
original choice and carry out all firing simulatneously.  Previously
activated vessels MAY NOT activate again in the same turn and vessels
activated in this way MAY NOT activate again later in the same turn.

Opposing Fleet Cons may try to block any Fleet Con action by expending
ratings to do so.  A blocking player may only attempt to block a single
communication or prediction, not multiple ones (ie-only blocking comm to
single ship, even if two or more are being additionally activated in a
co-ordinated fire attempt).  By expending a single rating, the blocking
player rolls a D6.  The player being blocked also rolls a D6 for the
original rating used.  These rolls can be augmented by spending
additional
ratings, each additional rating expended adding +1 to the roll.  The
player
who rolls highest wins the the attempt, either blocking the attempt or
getting it through.  You only get one chance to block a Fleet Con use.

Mass of system=12      Costs=36 points.

Whew!  Sounds more complex than it really is, but I thought it would
make
for a fun and interesting way of representing Fleet Control vessels on
the
table.	I made it a large system to stop it from being put on smaller
vessels, but not too large to preclude its use.  Comments please?

-Kelvin....

   "And how do you suppose we stop them?
      Get a big red sign with the word
	    STOP written on it?"

Prev: Re: What the hell is this? Re: [fh] nac vexilliology Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology