Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: Origins of the red hand of Ulster (OT) (Hist)

Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 06:40:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> While colonies are unlikely to ever have the real cutting-edge,
> first-line gear, I don't see frontier communities using any present
day
> style equipment.  I think that most military technology being used by
> indigent forces will be considerably more advanced than even the best
of
> today's gear in several very important ways, and most of it will
> probably be purpose-built by Earth or other Core World industries for
> export.

	Yes, several SF games and novels have explored this.
	You see lots of stuff like pneumatic guns that can be
	pumped up on the spot.	Ammunition is generally some kind
	of re-usable dart that can be loaded with a poison
	brewed out of some native plant.
	The entire gun is deliberately made very simple, with
	few parts to break, and easy to repair with crude technology.