Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards andAnthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: (DSII) Question about Infantry Walkers

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 00:42:06 GMT
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(andnowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

Oerjan Ohlson writes:

> All the sources I've seen have described it as the personal arms of
the
> (native) Princes of Wales rather than as the national arms, though.

Well, er, I'm honestly not sure that there's such a thing as
"national arms". The arms of England are really the arms of the
kings of England, ditto the arms of Scotland. Nations have flags
and badges and so on, but it is their princes that bear arms.

Thomas Anderson writes:

> a great many flags - the british for a start - do not follow the rules
of
> heraldry, on the grounds that they're flags and not shields.

What rule does the Union Flag break? The red and blue most
certainly do not touch. The (partial) St. Patrick's Cross is
planted on top of the white St. Andrew's Cross and there's a white
border around the St. George's Cross which could be mischeviously
described as a cross of St. Denis (an old French emblem).

--
David Brewer