Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now som

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:08:06 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now som

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote (to me, not to the list, but
i'm sure he meant to - keep on message, Tom):
> Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> > > I think it would, but I live in the Colonies...
> >
> > if the crown alone is the nac symbol, the crown above the simplified
royal
> > arms in outline would make a good royal symbol. i'll go and play
with psp
> > and knock up a sheet of examples for all this.
>
> beat me to it. But I'm busy so take a crack. I'll critique and offer
> other suggestions. Then lets publish this! (on the Web)

kerpow! faster than a speeding packet, better at drawing than a blind
lemur. have a shufty at

users.ox.ac.uk/~univ0938/nacflags.html

there is a small chance it won't work - Normal Service Will Be Restored
As
Soon As Possible and all that. i'd do more, but i really cannot draw for
toffee, so this is all you're getting for now. the crown is patterned
after the one on the 20p piece, and the shield off the one pound with
the
royal arms on it.

> But you would expect that the country that has so much Heraldic
> history would obey its own (archaic - but that is very British)
> rules.

disobeying archaic rules is also a great british institution. especially
when done for no discernible reason.

> > > Yep. And they get the curly bar (the Nelson's Curl) on their
> > > uniforms.
> >
> > don't most navies have this? i always assumed so.
>
> No. Canadian Navy just recently brought it back. US does not AFAIK.
> Maybe on flag rank... but nothing below that.

> > > Heh. Motie?
> >
> > larry niven's 'the mote in god's eye' had a bunch of aliens who got
called
> > the Moties. they had three arms with a hand each - two small ones
for
> > manipulation and one big one for gripping. we have two hands, so we
have
> > the construction 'on the one hand ... on the other hand'; the moties
had
> > 'on the one hand ... on the other hand ... on the gripping hand',
the idea
> > being that the gripping-hand point overrode the other two.
>
> Cute idea. I just like it because it is contrarian (...On the 4th
> Hand, Sir,.....)

octopus logic! there is a great oxford donnish tradition of making long
strings of points in an argument - "and fourteenthly ..." is a famous
saying round these parts. fellows of biochemistry are starting to win
more
arguments now the engineering of extra hands is taking place ...

Tom