Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST] Next: [SG2] [DS2] Sniper factoids

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now som

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:12:27 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now som

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:
> Here is another one (aside): Where is the NAC Parliament Located?

doesn't it get moved to avalon at some point? otherwise it'd still be in
london, although i can imagine outstations in washington, new orleans,
ottawa, rio de janeiro or wherever, to which the parliament (or a quorum
thereof) decamps every summer for 'parliament lite', when the rest is in
recess.

> You could have Pacific Northwest, MidWest, Pacific SouthWest (maybe
> this is FCT?), South, New England, Atlantic Coast, North East? Maybe
> some US folk on the list would suggest 5-8 regional areas the states
> (Minus Texas, California and probably some of NM or Arizona) could be
> divided into and which states would be in which regions?

my latest opinion is that the former usa (minus FCT) should be divided
into two, possibly north and south but probably east and west.

also, see www2.cy-net.net/~sma/students/usa.html for an FCT map.

> > >so, the nac-as-a-whole symbol is the crown, and the following
things have
> > >the following symbols positioned under the crown:
> Probably we need the regional themes.

eh?

> I could see the Nautical Navy

if there is one - i refer the honourable gentleman to the thread that
was
spun many days back. oh, the twisted webs we weave. could just be part
of
the police, army or customs service.

> The Space Navy might have a Midnight blue field (not
> quite black which is dishonour)

shame - space black would look quite good. i think that the nac space
navy
basically considers itself to be the Royal Navy, just with space ships.
as
such, use current/historical navy symbology, ie a navy blue field with
those crossed anchors or something. i'm not up on RN symbols. now, the
current RN uses the white ensign; i suspect they still will. that is, a
white field with a red st george's cross, the top left quarter occupied
by
the union flag. thus, the nac white ensign would be white, red st
george's
cross, gold crown in the top left. possibly crown and anchors.

> The Army might use a Red Background and
> Feature a Crown over a Pair of Crossed Rifles or Crossed Swords
> (Silver/White).

the british army does not have a flag or symbol - it uses the union
jack.
this may well change when the nac becomes the operative nation. i think
crossed swords is fine - rifles are hard, as they're not old enough to
properly stylised yet!

> The Marines might use a Navy Field with the Crown
> (Gold/Yellow) over both a smaller Silver/White (same thing) Star and
> under it a pair of Crossed Swords (Cutlasses).

or, being part of the navy, just use the navy flag, poss with the
addition
of a cutlass. or the army flag, but with a navy field. like the army,
the
royal marines do not currently have a flag other than the union flag.

>  The Diplomatic
> Service may use A Red Flag, Gold Crown and a White/Silver Dove (okay
> its wishy washy but best I could think of).

i'm not sure the diplomatic service has a flag. ambassadors are the
queen's personal envoys, so they use royal symbols.

> The Air Force (Close
> Orbit and Aerospace Control Force) would have a Light Blue Field with
> a Gold Crown suspended over a Silver Gull. (Or maybe a wing?).

or an raf-like roundel.

> Many civil service branches would just use the standard Red Field,
> Gold Crown of the Commonwealth.

agreed. or the parliamentary symbol.

> I'd say that Member states retain the
> Red Field and the Crown (like we talked of above) but the symbol down
> below is dependent (as previously suggested) on the state in
> question.

ja. and always in gold, for consistency

> Civilian Judiciary might use a Red background, Gold Crown suspended
> over a Golden Gavel. Military courts would use the colour of
> background of their service.

military courts are part of the military and use military symbols.
civil/criminal courts probably use a set of scales as a symbol. the
statue
on top of the old bailey (high court buiding) in london is the figure of
justice with sword and scales.

Tom