Prev: Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown Next: Re: Engineers <Was: Infanty TO&E >

Re: Sniper and stuff <was[DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown>

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:46:25 -0800
Subject: Re: Sniper and stuff <was[DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown>

Los wrote:

> Snipers in line battalions have two equally importnat roles, target
> interdiction and reconnasaince and surveillance. You don't join up as
> sniper you are sent by your parent unit. It's  a big investment in
time and
> resources. You have to take some of the best guys in your unit and
send them

> But still, I wouln't go overboard on snipers. (like  a platoon per bn)
They
> don't have a significant impact on the actual battle, they can at time
score
> the big hit, Their influence in a heads up battle is usually
"incidental" to

Hrm. . . sounds like they share a sort of role with the rest of their
recon platoon.

In my mech units, the recon platoon is 6x4 man teams carried in CFVs.  I
havn't really put together my light organizations (light infantry wasn't
a specialty of the Roman Empire) but it will probably be roughly the
same.  Perhaps one 4-man team is really two sniper/spotter teams.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown Next: Re: Engineers <Was: Infanty TO&E >