Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: Paint schemes for different ships

Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

From: Christopher Pratt <valen@g...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:03:37 -0500
Subject: Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Christopher Pratt wrote:
>
> > Just something that came up the other day, is there any way
> > to create
> > a EMP with out blowing a nuke, triggering a solar flare,
> > etc...etc... (perhaps less destructive).
>
> Yes. MHD. Some of the larger ex-Soviet anti-ship missiles supposedly
had
> such options. There's even a web site somewheres giving the theory,
and
> some cross-section diagrams. The effect is very short ranged, but
> focussed and directional, with much of the energy going in the right
> direction. The idea was that a single missile would detonate well
before
> getting into CiWs range, and take out a lot of the comms and suchlike,
> causing resets on even the hardened stuff. Even a few seconds delay
> would be enough to let the others through.
>
> --
> aebrain@dynamite.com.au     <> <>    How doth the little Crocodile
> | Alan & Carmel Brain|      xxxxx	  Improve his shining tail?
> | Canberra Australia |  xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
>  abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo	 oo oo	   oo
>		      By pulling MAERKLIN Wagons, in 1/220 Scale

reminds me of one of my favorite cyberpunk-ish era weapons
the EMP grenade.
toss one in a room before a meet and scramble all those
nifty
bugs left behind.  toss one in a room full of cyber wired
goons
and watch them twitch.
however all this talk of nuke and such made me wonder if
such a
small scale weapon was possible.

later
valen@gatecom.com

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: Paint schemes for different ships