Prev: Looking for players Next: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers

Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:36:43 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Adrian Johnson wrote:
> >I disagree, for the same reason that military ground transportation
isn't
> >separate from civilian ground transportation.
> OK, maybe I should have been more specific.  Operational command of
> military forces is presently conducted using seperate chains of
> communication

i have heard from reliable sources that the us military (army, at any
rate) is rolling out a messaging system based on the X.400 standard;
unlike the internet standards, which were written by people trying to
make
a working email system, this was written by a committee trying to write
standard. it's overly complex and hard to maintain, and, best of all,
for
security reasons it is being built in-house. deadline for delivery: 31st
december, 1999. now, i'll give you two guesses if this baby is millenium
compliant or not ...

Tom

Prev: Looking for players Next: Re: [GZG] [HIST] Military Hackers