Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:38:07 -0800
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Given, but if your armour and weapons mean that (similar to the
> British in various Zulu type scenarios, or some US Cavalry with

Assuming your career subaltern lets the Engineer take command, of
course.  :)

> Gatling gun vs. Native American scenarios) you can pile the bodies
> around you in racks and have little risk, then that may be
> acceptable. I wasn't necessarily talking 10 to 1 difference, just say
> that a future company is maybe 10-15% lighter in manpower because it
> has a 50% tech edge.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim Gun and they have not.

Perhaps in the future "Power Armor and they have not"

> > That's a SWEET weapon.  Lighter than a Dragon, and it can punch tank
> > armor, and it's fire and forget.
>
> It'll end up like the Carl Gustav though.... you won't be able to get
> really good with them because they'll be so damn expensive we won't
> let you fire them.... (I've seen many an ex where the Carl Gustav was

That's the beauty of it.  I was capable of operating the training
simulator with five minutes instruction, and the guy who was there (some
PFC from the 75th who was actually one of the half-dozen qualified
Javelin instructors in the Army at the time) that basically the only
difference is that with the real thing you have to remember to insert
your earplugs.	It's practically idiot proof, and guides itself.

> Some thinker at the Pentagon must have a new set. Otherwise how can
> you get our mineral and timber resources (the water you get just by
> pumping out of lake Michigan)?  (grin)

We'll buy it from you.	Or straight trade, American Cable stations for
timber.

John "Evil Cultural Imperialist[tm] Atkinson

Evil Cultural Imperialist[tm] is a registered trademark of Francophones
International and it's use here is not to be construed as a challenge to
same.

If you need the smiley, you need a sense of humor in the first place.

Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown