Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: RE: [FT] UN ship design

Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:26:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> i was wondering about the nac flag too. i sort of assume that within
the
> commonwealth, the component nations (england, scotland, wales,
> ulster/ireland, canada and america) have their own flags as now, the
us
> flag being modified by the replacement of the starry quadrant with a
union
> jack, of course, and that there is also a commonwealth flag; i don't
know
> that this would necessarily be the union jack. it might be based on
the
> royal coat of arms, which is roughly as follows:

I like the idea for the us flag.

> a simpified form of this, suitable for a non-denominational, in-touch,
> pluralist monarchy as that of 2160 is (un)likely to be, would be to
> simplify lions to horizontal bars, the lion-in-a-box to a hollow
square,
> and the harp to a quarter-circle, concave side pointing northeast.
this is
> the logo i've used for nac ships when i've needed one, and it looks
quite
> smart.

I think I like the figures.... and I think one of the english panes
should be something american.... like an eagle in silver on a red and
white striped background....

Or maybe just something simple, that acknowledges that it is
impossible to represent the US, Canada, Rep of Quebec,
Ireland, Scotland, N Ireland, Wales, England, Mexico, and all of
South America within one flag. Maybe just a Gold Crown on a Red
Field. Then in each country, a figure is placed under the crown to
indicate 'under the protection of the crown'. In Canada, a maple
leaf. In USA, an eagle. In Ireland, a Harp. In Wales, something
stolen from someone (okay, just kidding - really!). In Scotland, a
Lion. In England, nothing. In South America, whatever symbols would
be appropriate. In Quebec, a Fleur De Lis.

And commonwealth vessels would display the Gold-Crown-On-Red flag of
the Commonwealth and this would be the shoulder flashes of NAC
forces.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: RE: [FT] UN ship design