Prev: Sniper and stuff <was[DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown> Next: RE: [FT] UN ship design

RE: [FT] UN ship design

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:57:07 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] UN ship design

Glover, spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Er, I'm sure that the "Official background" explains that in 2183 that
the
> UN is maintaining its own forces. ie people joining give up their
individual
> nationality.

Not being ignorant, but do you have a citation for that? I think that
is right, but I don't know where I got the idea.

This must imply some solid tax-base or a real firm grasp on the big
powers making them pay their bills......

and probably implies UN citizenship options too.

> They way Rob Deakin's Expansion Campaign background is developing has
the
> Indian sub-continent providing the bulk of general run-o-the-mill
ground
> troops for teh UN. Well, all those millions of Aryans have to go
somewhere
> in teh GZG universe. Teh UN is as good a place as any.

I think a lot of folks would consider serving Humanity. If the UN had
good PR (especially with the Bug War coming), they'd get lots of
quality recruits, even some with combat experience transfering from
other forces. And they may well second their officers and NCOs as
observers (to gain experience) to other militaries when they aren't
in use by the UN.

If the UN has good money in 2183, then maybe it pays more and maybe
can recruit 'cream of the crop'.

> This way you have two echelons of UN intervention; Peaceforcers and
> Peacekeepers. The Peaceforcers are your hi-tek (not the boot) Power
Armour
> dudes and the Peacekeepers are the more conventionally armed
patrolling
> types.
> Ideas?

I figure the UN has
1) An Intelligence Arm (and a Chief Intelligence Officer (CIO))
2) A military Arm (under a Chief Military Officer (CMO))
  2a) A fleet under a Chief of Naval Operations (CNO)
  2b) A land force under a Chief of Planetary Operations (CPO)
    2bi) A rapid reaction marine force (for 'apply hammer here' sits)
    3bii) A large group of conventional forces (peacekeeping)
    3biii) A large group of unarmed observers
3) A diplomatic Arm (under the Chief Diplomatic Officer (CDO))
4) A support Arm (under the Chief Operations Officer (COO))
   4a) A Special Service Force (SF) for covert UN operations

All are responsible to the Secretary-General and Security Council
(and thereafter the General Assembly).

But I think the UN must be capable of performing the
following:
1) Intelligence gathering inside the Inner Colonies/Core
2) Intelligence gathering outside the Inner Colonies/Core
3) Analysis of Intel
4) R&D for new tech
5) Security in the Core/Inner Colonies (anti-smuggling, anti-piracy,
defusing brewing wars)
 6) Observation of Conflicts and Development
(Everywhere)
7) Protection of Humanity against outside threats
(Xenos)
8) Coordination of Trade and Economic Policy
9) Coordination of Industrial Development and Environmental
Protection (including maintianing Quarrantine Regs)
(aside: In Traveller, if you attempted to land on Earth in breach of
quarantine, they'd burn you out of space....)
10) Resolution of Diplomatic/Economic/Political/Cultural Crisis
through Mediation, Diplomacy
11) Peacekeeping in quieted combat zones
12) Observation of conflicts in hostile zones
13) Enforcing Peace in areas where continued conflict is considered
unacceptable to the Security Council Members
14) Recruiting and training new UN forces and diplomats and such
15) Disaster Relief across the Human Sphere

11 - this would be an article 7 Peacekeeping mission
13 - This would be an atricle 9 Intervention mission

(Perhaps the Articles of the UN have been re-drafted)

I may have missed some, and others may tell me some of this is noen
of the UNs business. It's just one suggestion.

In any case, the troops/policy should fit the mandate. That has to be
the first established item - what is (and how broad is) the UN
mandate, what powers (economic and otherwise) has it to back them up,
and to what extent does it circumvent that mandate to accomplish its
agenda...

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Sniper and stuff <was[DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown> Next: RE: [FT] UN ship design