Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [FT] UN ship design

Re: [FT] UN ship design

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:49:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] UN ship design

John M. Atkinson wrote:

> My universe has a series of semi-genocidal conflicts in it's recent
> past.  The UN is pretty much a non-issue outside of the Solar System
and
> a handful of the first colonies. Inside The Core, it depends more on
> concensus and troops loaned from greater powers to provide most of the
> firepower.  The UN Space Command and UN Marines tend to be
> first-response troops (aka 'tripwires'), liason assets (reference
recent
> discussion on Special Forces--a handful of advisors at the batallion
> level to make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music and to
> coordinate between units of differing nationalities.), and for use in
> routine situations ("ho-hum,	Congo's having another revolution.
Let's
> go supress it.  SOP #3 boys").

I think a good way to make the UN troop thing work is that instead of
having
troops loaned to eth UN on secondment, that the UN recruits its own
forces
directly. This way you aren't NSL or NAC or New Israeli but you are UN.
Think similar to Foreign Legion, but with higher quality peronnel and a
better budget. (differnt ROE though.) This also simplifies committment
of UN
forces.

Los

Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [FT] UN ship design