Prev: OT: FIFTH FRONTIER WAR PBEM Next: Re: [DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

[DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:20:05 +1000
Subject: [DS] [SG] was RE: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Hoping this isn't going off thread, but....

Snipers in SG are probably going to be very rarely seen. Snipers
traditionally (and doctrinally) engage at very long ranges; 500m plus.
In SG
the Sniper ranges are double normal range bands. So, given a Veteran
sniper
figure, long range is 5 range bands ie 100 inches, 4 range bands is 80
inches and 3 range bands 60 inches! So, in most average sized games on a
6'x4' or 8'x6' table there is very little scope (forgive the pun) to
employ
a sniper team except in a very static manner.

Given that most tasking for snipers involves only a little of the actual
shot and more of the moving into a position and then moving out again,
the
demand for the marksmanship skill is not as high as the demand for the
skilled concealment. The Australian Army Sniper course has a final test
known as a Stalk. If the actual shot, move into position or withdrawal
are
seen then the result is a fail. This is reagardless of accuracy of the
shot.

Dealing with a well trained experienced professional sniper is a Platoon
Commanders nightmare. Pull back and do an Arclight!!

Owen G