Prev: RE: GZGL FH - Genetic engineering. Next: RE: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter p hilosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:09:37 -0400
Subject: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter p hilosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

I heard this same story a number of years ago as told by a friend in the
Canadian Navy, except that it was one of the old Canadian
diesel-electric
subs and it snuck into the USS America carrier battlegroup to sink the
big
one...

I wonder if the whole thing isn't an urban legend / myth created by we
countries with wee navies to poke fun at the Americans...   Maybe it was
the Swedes - they are supposed to be deploying some of the most advanced
submarine technology around (subs without conning tower using chemical
fuel
cell power systems for extend underwater operations, etc etc)

On the other hand - countries like Britain and the US rely on their
smaller
allies like Canada and Australia to help them with realistic training -
we
have conventional subs and they don't, and the Russians are furiously
selling off ex-Soviet navy equipment (like conventional subs, etc - hey
they sold nuke attack subs to Iran) to countries the US might have to
tango
with...  We get to simulate the bad guys, and these training exercises
are
going on all the time.	Maybe it actually happened as described for both
the Can. and Aus. subs?