Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:32:33 +0100
Subject: Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

At 14:32 22/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Tony Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> All but 1 of our 98 VC's have been won since we became an independant
>> nation
>>

>Weren't Aussies brave before then or did that have something to do with
>the pomms? <g>
>
>Los

	The first Australian VC was awarded to a doctor in the Sudan
campaign in
the 1880's. A couple of field ambulances went and as such were the first
Australian troops to serve overseas which we've been doing every since.
IIRC no Australian got one in the Boer war but I could be wrong. About
40
or so were won in WWI with fewer awarded in WWII and 4 in Vietnam.
	We didn't get any VCs earlier because the pomms never used
Australian
colonial troops. Even during the Boer war Australian units could not be
more than 150 men strong. Makes you wonder if the Pomms trusted us.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au