Prev: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering... Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:56:22 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

Stuart Murray wrote:

> Personally I can't really see this becoming widespread.  Even if we
are
> talking major time in the future when the human genome is mapped and
all
> ORFs (genes) are assigned.  Form there we have to go to the genomics
guys
> to tell us what genes are on during all stages that we are interested
in.
> Say, for example we want to 'build' a better soldier.  First you have
> know exactly what genes you need to turn on/off and or regulate to
what
> level (e.g.,.  Androgen Receptor - to make a bigger better body-
during
> foetal development, or HOX genes -increased blood cell/immune
response-
> during heamatopoeitic development), second you have to know how
regulation
> of these genes will affect expression of other gens then you have to
stat
> worrying about how the genes are transcribed (proteins made).  Cutting
> lot of steps out, are you making your super soldier in artificial
womb, or
> are you using wombs ex-vivo, or are you using a traditional
implantation
> technology, if you are using the latter how do you control maternal
> affects, basically you can't so you have to resort to some type of
> artificial technology.  The biggest crux of all of this, that is
greater
> than the scientific and technological advances requires before this
can
> even get off the ground, is cost.  My guess is tailor 'making' a human
is
> going to be prohibitively costly to waste on 'grunts', even
'super-grunts'.
> However, if you look at alternatives I believe they may become a much
more
> reasonable alternative.
>
> Technology such as nuclear transfer couples with targeted gene
regulation
> (anti-sense regulators, up/down regulation of steroid hormone
receptors/
> second messengers) offers a much more cost-effective and potentially
> reliable method of 'growing' the bodies you need.  This coupled with
> advancing knowledge in educational and psychological conditioning may
> realistically (and cost-effectively) produce a disposable readily
generated
> pool of troops which may be both psychologically and physically
'adapted'
> to either combat or harsh environment stresses.
>
> OK, so this is just my opinion, I could be just talking out of my arse
> though :-)
>
> Stuart.

Then again you could ignore the factors, or use them to sway the
probabilities
to produce a large batch of raw material which then is screened or
trained
to proper levels.  Much like the system is today, except that you would
increase
the baseline of the material entering the system.  I could see creche
type
situations where dozens of clones are trained in the arts of war... Hmmm
sounds alot like that movie Soldier coming out...

--Binhan

Prev: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering... Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]