Prev: Space carrier fighter philosphy Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:23:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT][DS][SG][HIST] Just wondering...

Tony spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>	Tom ment different in attitude. Certainly when you try out for
sub service
> they are looking at how you react to living in a small confined space
for
> days on end.

That's the one. Not claustrophobic, very stable, able to handle
cramped quarters, isolation from friends and family, stress.

 I don't know that genetic-engineering is going to help you
> here but it might be able to take a 6'6" submarinia and stop him
belting
> his head on bulkheads all the time. You might be able to use to ensure
that
> people are all the same size (no shortys like me) so that any recruit
will
> fit your standard mass produced PA suit (the old army saying of one
size
> fits all has just come true by making everyone fit the same size) so
all
> you need to do is select those people who don't mind being dropped
from orbit.

Well, making 'average size' submariners or space crew makes sense.
Also enhancing reflexes, hearing, sight, etc. Now, another point is
that there may be a physical component of stress reactions. Genetic
engineering may reduce that so that we actually are calmer (less
adrenalin or something). That would be an asset in dealing with (a la
Ren and Stimpy)..."Space Madness".
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Space carrier fighter philosphy Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]