Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Genetic engineering. Next: Re: Cross Over from FT3 (Fleet Book) to DirtSide and StarGrunt

RE: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:08:14 -0400
Subject: RE: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)

At 10:59 AM 10/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Nyrath,
>
>If you liked the soundtracks to the first two Star Trek movies(V'Ger
and
>Wrath of Khan), definitely look into finding Battle Beyond The Stars.
They
>were done by James Horner with a decent amount of "similiarity" to
them.
>Net-gossip has it that he wasn't entirely thrilled with the way Battle
>Beyond... turned out but still...
>What does HE know?  He only wrote it.	=WE= listen to it... ;)

Gawd, but I love synchronicity.  Just today, I was at the "Healing Power
of
Obnoxiousness" webpage, and I read the following passage in Paul
Riddel's
essay about movie soundtracks:

"Exhibit C: If you've bought one John Horner album, you've bought them
all.
Okay, so John Williams is a hack who struck it rich with Star Wars and
Raiders of the Lost Ark and went right down the rathole ever since, but
the
only time he recycled soundtracks was with Return of the Jedi, and the
nits
who enjoyed that ripoff couldn't pick pimples off their own asses. John
Horner, though, can't do anything but: the soundtrack to Battle Beyond
the
Stars sounds just like Humanoids From the Deep sounds just like Star
Trek
II sounds just like Krull sounds just like Star Trek III sounds just
like
Aliens...well, you get the idea.

"What's worse is that, as noted former Dallas Observer movie critic Matt
Zoller Seitz will tell you, one track to the Aliens soundtrack, entitled
"Futile Escape", pops up as the background music in nearly every preview
in
recent memory, Timecop being the most recent example. (A close second is
the "St. Crispin's Day" theme from Patrick Doyle's Henry V soundtrack,
but
this way lies madness.) Not only is this piece just like every other
action
score he's ever done, but now it's ingrained into the American
movie-going
psyche. I mean, it's a fun score, but let's get serious..."

I recommend his web page (http://www.cyberramp.net/~priddell/) for
anyone
who likes both Harlan Ellison and Hunter Thompson.  Riddell is a man
with
opinions about SF, and lot of them.  (His low opinion of George Lucas is
stated well and often)	Even if you disagree with him, he makes
entertaining reading.

But that's just my opinion.

And I am generally considered to be pretty odd.

And this is getting increasingly off-topic.

So I'll just stop now.

Bye!

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: GZGL FH - Genetic engineering. Next: Re: Cross Over from FT3 (Fleet Book) to DirtSide and StarGrunt