Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)

Re: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:11:40 -0700
Subject: Re: ADLER TAG AAR

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Don't most carriers carry fighter spares 'broken down' which can be
> put together to replace losses (and hence your carrier only needs to
> get replacement pilots, much easier and cheaper)? This concept was

I don't know, In the twentieth century there are only a few extra
aircraft on an air craft carrier. (I've been on an assault carrier the
Tarawa, they had 8 Harriers, no spares) A fighter is a big thing,
(remember it's not just the fighter but all the spare components,
attachments, engines etc) in outer space or here and space on a ship is
and will always be at an absolute premium. A typical (US ) fighter
squadron today has 18 aircraft and about 30 pilots. Fielding a full 16
plane formation leaves you 2 spares. And very seldom in peacetime or war
do you have a full compliment of either pilots or fighters.

I don't believe you would have much room for spares on teh carrier
itself. However the fleet train should have a certain number of spares
available. However these would take a certain amountb of time to bring
out of storage and make operational. Again it's a matter of space and
logistical support.

> Here's an idea for this in FB terms. Ready spares take up half the
> size and weight on a per unit basis as regular fighters, but cannot
> be used within the context of a scenario. It would take at least 12
> FT turns to ready 'ready spare' fighters, and that can only be done
> in an empty bay and if pilots are available (rare!). This means your
> carriers get even more massive to accomodate these. Ready spares
> might or might not be represented by a damage box (probably should) -
> maybe two spares to a box?

I would not support this rule unless you designed the storage capacity
into the ship to start with. So a CV that can normally support 6 fighter
bays can now have 4 bays and two spare depots. This would give it a
compliment of 8 FGs. However only 4 could be used at any one time
operationally. I'd rather have the operational fighters and leave
replenishment up to the fleet train.

The whole thing is sort of a campiagn rule anyway. I don't see anyone
taking a fighter out of storage and getting it ready for combat in just
3 hours, future or not. Unless you are carrying double the compliment of
grease monkeys to keep the spares in a	state of  semi-preparedness.
Heck it takes what? Three turns just to arm the things. Still, your rule
is an interesting option if the CV has the carrying capacity.  I know
there's a couple Navy guys on the list. Maybe they could chime in.

Los

Prev: Re: ADLER TAG AAR Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR - Soundtrack (OT)