Prev: I GOT BUGS MISTER RICO..... Next: RE: Military Interrogation [OT]

Re: Military Interrogation [OT]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:25:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Military Interrogation [OT]

Niall spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> And governements get to use this stuff.  I think the rebels of the
future
> are doomed.  Not exactly a cheerful thought.	Old fashioned torture
sounds
> more reasonable than this stuff.

Ah yes, but it is humane (causes little lasting harm - I guess it
could drive you round the twist) suppossedly, fast, effective, and
(to the point) NOT banned by the Geneva Conventions as they stand
today (according to the Canadian Military anyway).

Sounds like some Conventions need updated.... not that anyone follows
them when the chips are down anyway....

> I wonder how little you would actually tell your troops with
interrogation
> techniques this effective.

Keep in mind, this is designed to break the sub 24 hour barrier. Lots
of times, if you can hold out for 24 hours, everything you knew is
now invalidated (units have moved, passwords and patrol scheds
changed, etc). In general, I don't think officers tell their troops
that much anyway. Plus troops who had to hold out for longer may have
drug or chemical or hypnotic training to resist such tortures more
successfully.

  Only very high ranks would know the actual goal
> of an operation.   Bad for morale and co-ordination.

If you know what your goal is, and what those of a couple of units
nearby are, in many cases that would suffice. Not ideal, but it would
suffice. Most Great Generals tend to like to keep a trick or two up
their sleeve anyway.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: I GOT BUGS MISTER RICO..... Next: RE: Military Interrogation [OT]