Prev: Re: GW Next: Re: [null] nothing (OT)

FB Fighter Questions (longish)

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:42:07 -0500
Subject: FB Fighter Questions (longish)

Some questions about the handling of "attack fighters" came up a couple
of
weeks ago and I was hoping to get an official clarification.

In MT it states that attack fighters get a +1 on die rolls; and thus do
one
point of damage on a roll of 3 or 4 and two points on a 5 or 6.

Now normally in FT/MT, the beam weapon and fighter damage progression
is:

target	    1,2  3  4  5  6  average sum of 6 rolls
screen	3    -	 -  -  -  1    1
screen	2    -	 -  -  1  1    2
screen	1    -	 -  -  1  2    3
screen	0    -	 -  1  1  2    4

One would presume if this progression continued it would look like this:

target	    1,2  3  4  5  6  average sum of 6 rolls
screen -1    -	 -  1  2  2    5
screen -2    -	 1  1  2  2    6

If one did it this way it means that attack fighters get a two level
bonus
instead of the one that is implied.

>From the way attack fighters are described however, I have to presume
their
progression actually looks something like this:

target	   1,2	3  4  5  6  average sum of 6 rolls
screen 3    -	-  -  1  1    2
screen 2    -	-  1  1  1    3
screen 1    -	-  1  2  2    5
screen 0    -	1  1  2  2    6

Now if you use them with Fleet Book rules regarding beam weapons, the
question comes up of how "roll ups" on a 6 are handled.

If attack fighters roll up on a natural six, then the damage looks like
this:

target	   1,2	3  4  5  6  rollups  average sum of 6 rolls
screen 2    -	-  1  1  1    0.6      3.6
screen 1    -	-  1  2  2    1.0      6.0
screen 0    -	1  1  2  2    1.2      7.2

Compared to the normal beam weapon (and fighter) damage progression of:

target	   1,2	3  4  5  6  rollups  average sum of 6 rolls
screen 2    -	-  -  1  1    0.8      2.8
screen 1    -	-  -  1  2    0.8      3.8
screen 0    -	-  1  1  2    0.8      4.8

and the torpedo fighter damage progression of:

target	   1,2,3  4,5,6     rollups  average sum of 6 rolls
 any	     -	   3.5	     none      10.5

If the "+1 to the die roll" mechanic is taken to its illogical
conclusion,
however, a roll of 5 would become 6 and thus qualify for rolling up.  In
this case, the damage would look like this:

target	   1,2	3  4  5  6  rollups  average sum of 6 rolls
screen 2    -	-  1  1  1    1.5      4.5
screen 1    -	-  1  2  2    2.5      7.5
screen 0    -	1  1  2  2    3.0      9.0

However it is handled, attack fighters seem to be either overpowered or
under priced.  Looking at either set of numbers, I think I would rather
face a squadron of torpedo fighters than these little terrors; at least
there would only be one turn of torpedo attacks, while the attack
fighters
just keep coming back for more.  And standard combat endurance in the
Fleet
Book is what, six turns, now?

Jeff

Prev: Re: GW Next: Re: [null] nothing (OT)