Prev: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2] Next: Aryan-Transpacific

Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 01:29:58 -0700
Subject: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> That's probably because most combat vehicles in use today were
designed
> before the OA missiles were invented :-/ Such missiles exist today
(the
> Swedish army uses them, and I'm pretty sure the US army have bought at
> least some as well), so there's no reason why the vehicle designers

The US Army is replaceing the Dragon with the Javelin, which has two
modes, top attack and head-on (the latter for cases where you just can't
get at the tank's top--like it's parked in someone's garage or
whatever--top attack is standard).

> > Well, I'll have to take a look at that. Mines do attack both the
> > armour and the suspension parts in RL.
>
> Yes. It is possible to disable a vehicle in SGII completely, but its
> armour value doesn't come into the mechanic - only its suspension (the
> higher from the ground, the less effect of the mine). How realistic it
is
> I don't know - John?

If a mine attacks the actual treads or wheels of a vehicle, they will be
destroyed.  At the bare minimum it will wreck the lead wheel or break
the damn track.  More likely it will fuxor up the suspension so bad your
tank is permenantly immobilized.  If it does so, it will likely not
damage the vehicle itself.

If it's a full width mine (tilt-rod, magnetic influence, seismic, future
sensors) then it may either attack the treads as above, or the
underbelly of the tank, ripping through it like a hot knife through
butter and throwing spalling and the explosive force of the mine into
the fighting compartment of the tank, killing everyone inside.

John

Prev: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2] Next: Aryan-Transpacific