Prev: Re: [SGII] These Aliens.... Next: Re: KV 'house' rules for FB (Was "Fuzzy Wuzzy")

"Fuzzy Wuzzy" Kra'Vak (Was: KV 'house' rules for FB)

From: "Atcliffe, Phillip" <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: "Fuzzy Wuzzy" Kra'Vak (Was: KV 'house' rules for FB)

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:21:55 +0100 Oerjan Ohlson
<oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com> wrote:

> Chad wrote:
>> For my money the Rail Gun still has concept problems.
The Class 1 is no different from the Class 3. <<

> There are two differences:

> First, if you have 3 Class 1 instead of 1 Class 3, the
risk of losing *some* of your armament to threshold checks
go up but the risk of losing *all* your firepower in a
single go goes down dramatically. You're also a lot less
vulnerable to needle beam fire (...though I've only seen
one successful use of needle beams against Kra'Vak so far
<g>).

> Second, 3 Class 1 inflict the same *average* damage per
Mass as 1 Class 3 Railgun, but the Class 3 is more "all or
nothing." <

This is a good explanation of what is known in military
circles as the "Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy", i.e., if you take two
identical troopers/units and double the firepower of one of
them (but nothing else), what you get is not a unit that is
twice as valuable as the other one, because each unit is
still equally vulnerable to an attack; it has been worked
out that the additional firepower only increases the combat
value of the "heavy" unit by a factor of the _square_root_
of 2 -- or approx 41%. To truly double the value of the
unit, its defences must also be doubled.

I've never seen this argument taken further than doubling
but, assuming that the principle holds good, then a Class-3
RG could be considered to be sqrt(3) (= 1.73) times as
effective as a single Class-1, all else being equal. It
shows how long it's been since I looked at the KV rules
that I can't remember if RG units have different ranges,
but ISTM that they don't -- in which case, the above
calculation applies.

It also provides a good case for packing your KV ships with
as many Class-1 RGs as you can stuff in: same firepower (if
it hits), but a lot more damage-tolerant design. You may
have to nibble the enemy to death rather than take one big
bite, but it works for rats and pirhana....

Phil, certain that someone's going to tell me that I got it
wrong <g>
"I think... I think I am!     |        I think _I_ am:
 Therefore I am... I think?"  | 	Phil Atcliffe
   -- The Moody Blues	      | (Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: [SGII] These Aliens.... Next: Re: KV 'house' rules for FB (Was "Fuzzy Wuzzy")