Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space Next: Re: subs in spaaace

Re: Planetary defenses

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 17:26:30 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Los wrote:

> cares, drop 'em buy the dozens. But then again just because they are
> being dropped from orbit doesn't mean that they can't be intercepted
and
> destroyed before impact.

Ofcourse not.

> Again I have to ask. Where are we finding all these rocks to drop?

Allan already gave a rather good answer. All I have to add is that even
in
the case where rocks are not readily available in every system, you
still
have to calculate whether it's worthwhile to transport rocks (or other
kinetic ammo) with FTL tugs/tenders for example.

> creation for a few rocks. Any rock big enough to cause teh kind of
> dmagae necessary to get at hardened undergorund facilities (for
example)
> will begin causing ebvironmental damage (nuclear winter type stuff) if
> you have to drop them in sufficient quantity. Might as well just use
> bombs.

Sufficient quantity for what? To cause eco-damage? Well, sure, ofcourse.

To damage the target? Depends on a number of other variables. Not all
worthwhile military targets are (or even can be) buried beneath the
local
Himalayans.

> It wasn't a base it was a colony.

Ah, we have a slight misunderstanding here. I was talking about military
bases. I'll accept the concept of raiding, especially if you manage to
catch the defenders off-guard.

>Is Finland rigged for self destruct in
> case the Russians attack? I hope my home town isn't. <grin>

Actually, we *do* build our bridges ready-to-be-rigged-for-demolition.

> Yes a quick strike raid is more the ticket, but even that can often
> require gaining at least temporary air suuperiority. Look at the
Dieppe
> raid (Admittedly a big abortion) That was a major operation requireing
> hundred of ships and planes to put down the raiding force. I'm trying
> remember the Weber book where we see this example...Crusade that's it.

Agreed, but I think planetary defenses will be by their very nature very
quick to respond. Ofcourse, you could argue for knocking out static
defenses on one side of the planet and doing the raid before mobile
assets
can be moved.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space Next: Re: subs in spaaace