Prev: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies Next: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies

(OT) Probability vs Heuristic Game Design was (Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle...

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:16:55 +0100
Subject: (OT) Probability vs Heuristic Game Design was (Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle...

>> Yes the difference is the motivation for the analysis.
>
>What was your motivation for stating that anyway? I don't know what you
>intended, but it came off as a scare tactic: "If you continue
>doing that,people might consider you a powergamer."

It was to **agree** with your point that probability analysis is
worthwhile to _find flaws in the game system_, but someone (not me!)
might incorrectly, consider you a minimaxer for doing it. As you have
a special personal page for people to post hate mail about you to, I
assumed someone in the past must have thought you were/are perhaps?

It wasn't a scare tactic, why should I want to *scare* anyone? You
credit me with motivations I couldn't possibly have.

<wrong end of stick>
>Gee whiz, I'm shaking in my boots. Please don't excommunicate me, I'll
>repent! (Not)
</wrong end of stick>

>Actually, I think heuristics is probably a better way to begin
>the design process, unless you have some very hard data you want to
model.

>I just think mathematical analysis can save *tons* of work
>validating the final system.

Glad we agree.

tim jones
--------

Prev: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies Next: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies