Prev: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting Next: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:19:23 -0500
Subject: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Let's also not forget a few things about the aircraft defense IAD
> (Immediate action drill in US Army parlance).

Canada too. "Aircraft Action" as I was taught it.

> 4. It scaers the shit out of pilots to be seeing all that mess in
front
> of their windscreen. And that's the primary reason for it. If teh
ground
> troops say, hey why bother? Then youa re letting attacking aircraft
and
> helicopters have a "free lunch" if you will. It's all about screwing
up
> people's minds.

And the pilot can't tell if you have heavy enough weapons to bring
him down in the mix so he assumes so....

> And yes while there are some armored aircraft, most can sustain damage
> from small arms if they are hit. That's why you don't se ethem flying
> that low on their attack runs. Helicopters are in a bind of course and
> smalla rms fire IS effective against them. Not every enemy helicopter
is
> an Apache you know.

Note that the supersonic laydown attack used by attack jets (or the
popup) can mean you don't see the jet till you are dead (if you are
in constricted terrain). Of course, that might hurt his targeting
too.

I'm wondering if armour 2 VTOLs in the GZG world are actually
vulnerable to things like small arms? Probably not very. But many
aircraft may have armour 0 or 1 and that would be endangered. Also
note that intakes and fans and such even in the modern day are far
tougher than you want to imagine. I've seen footage of A-10s shot to
hell, and the engine casing riddled with holes and the fans chipped
and torn and the fans still ran and the plane still flew. I think
most planes that do low operations must be prepared for (from a
design point) birds and other things being sucked into their intakes.
It doesn't take much to envision a future where they'll be able to
ignore even small arms.

(Mind you, I still think you'd fire at them since you would't know if
they were bulletproof and they wouldn't know what you are shooting).

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255