Prev: Re: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging Next: Re:Planetary insurgencies..was Planetary defenses

Re: Planetary defenses

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:23:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Los wrote:
>
> Well, I do think that "total annihilation" type weapons can also be
> used
> in a more limited fashion. If you have no defense against, say,
> wholesale
> orbital bombardment, what is your defense against tactical "orbing"?
> And
> if you don't have one, why wouldn't the attacker use it on you?

I agree they can be used in a more limited fashion. Nukes for example.
It would take either a large amount or huge ones to have "permanent"
sever damage to the planet's eco-system. And on airless rocks, who
cares, drop 'em buy the dozens. But then again just because they are
being dropped from orbit doesn't mean that they can't be intercepted and
destroyed before impact.

> Just dropping rocks has no major aftermath on a world without an
> ecosystem. Many planets are uninhabitable anyway -- including deadly
> background radiation. A couple of nukes won't change that in a major
> way.

Again I have to ask. Where are we finding all these rocks to drop?
Admittedly our solar system has a nice supply, which still requires
getting out there to get them. But what about other solar systems? Do
they all have asteroid belts? Are do you have to search all over
creation for a few rocks. Any rock big enough to cause teh kind of
dmagae necessary to get at hardened undergorund facilities (for example)
will begin causing ebvironmental damage (nuclear winter type stuff) if
you have to drop them in sufficient quantity. Might as well just use
bombs.

> A raid is not to capture the entire base intact.
>
> Why wasn't the base rigged for self-destruct once things got really
> bad?

It wasn't a base it was a colony. Is Finland rigged for self destruct in
case the Russians attack? I hope my home town isn't. <grin>

> That's what I meant -- the concept of assaulting a planet to gain use
> of
> its military complexes *intact* seems a bit far-fetched to me. The
> defender would just use scorched earth tactics and blow up the bases
> himself when defeat seemed inevitable.

Yes a quick strike raid is more the ticket, but even that can often
require gaining at least temporary air suuperiority. Look at the Dieppe
raid (Admittedly a big abortion) That was a major operation requireing
hundred of ships and planes to put down the raiding force. I'm trying to
remember the Weber book where we see this example...Crusade that's it.

Los

Prev: Re: [DS2] [SG2] Laser Ranging Next: Re:Planetary insurgencies..was Planetary defenses