Prev: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: [LIST] Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:28:04 -0500

Hedglin, spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> 1) I don't play Full Thrust, so I'm overwhelmed by the constant
barrage of
> FT mails that come through the list.	It seems that about every 5
minutes
> I'm having to delete another FT mail.  It's gotten to the point that
I'm
> considering dropping off the list since there is so little DSII
discussion.

I play FT occaisionally. A lot of the discussions that eat the most
thread space are not FT, nor DS2, nor SG2 but 'how the world works'
and have implications to all of the games in one way or another. But
I can appreciate the comment.  There is a fair volume of list traffic
- the perils of popularity.

> 2) A DSII/Stargrunt mailing list might encourage more discussion.
Every
> morning, I come into work & have about 50 messages that I have to scan
the
> subjects of & delete.  I frequently miss the DSII messages because
they are
> lost in the mass of FT messages.  Only when I'm looking in my deleted
> messages folder something else, do I catch what I've missed.	By
having a
> DSII/Stargrunt mailing list, these messages won't be lost amongst the
FT
> messages.

It goes in cycles. I've seen weekends where the entire discussion was
powered armour or what type of tank exists. I don't think that if you
checked the past few months the balance was heavily FT. The idea of
people attempting to use list codes would be useful here too.

> 3) A DSII/Stargrunt list could possible decrease internet traffic.
I'm
> assuming there are other list members out there like me that don't
play FT.
> If another list was created, they could be dropped off the FT list &
the
> large number of FT messages wouldn't have to be sent to them.  (OK, I
know
> I'm really reaching for this one.)

This would benefit some members. I'd be reading and contributing to
both probably so it won't matter to me volume wise. But for those who
it does matter to, they may find a new list an asset.

Here are the issues:
1) Does Jon T and the GZG crowd have an interest in monitoring two
lists? Jon had (I thought) already indicated not. And I'd hate to pit
the two crowds against each other for his attention or answers.
Specially since I think FT is (gasp) more popular.
2) Who will list admin this new list? Johnathan has enough to do (I
would think). You volunteering?

Otherwise, I'm cool with the idea. Whatever makes peoples lives
easier. I just look for list tags or interesting topics. But some
folk may want even more streaming.

> So, what do people think about starting a seperate DSII/Stargrunt
list?
> Thanks for listening,
> Nils Hedglin
> Nils.A.Hedglin